2 cups long grain white rice
4 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon maple syrup
3 whole cardamom pods, crushed
- In a medium sized bowl, soak the rice in two cups of water for at least 4 hours, up to overnight.
- When you are ready to cook the rice, boil in a large pot with two cups of water and 1 teaspoon salt until nearly cooked through, then cover with a lid and let sit to steam.
- In a small pot, cook the oil, sugar, and cardamom pods until the sugar dissolves.
- Pour the cardamom syrup over the rice. Stir a few times to distribute, but not so much that all of the rice is covered. Uneven distribution will allow some rice to stay white and some to turn golden—this is good!
- Place the lid back on the pot and set over low heat. Let cook for 15-20 minutes, then serve.
Many thanks to Zala for sharing this recipe, and to the Edible Theology Project for their work in putting it into writing for our community.